Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mid- Year Report on my project: help educate vulnerable children in poor communities


What the facility needs now most is money to buy land and build a more equipped facility, and I call on all well meaning individuals and organizations to contribute whatever they could towards the success of this noble project.Education is a right and should not be treated as a privilege.


Every action in our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity. --Edwin Hubbel Chapin


Early this year, I promised meeting the challenges of this year with greater determination and resolved to make the best out of the tiniest opportunity so as to maximize the potential benefits of my noble project to prospective beneficiaries.

Part of my plans for the year was to build sustainable and strategic partnerships and to improve my leadership quality. Promising than I expected, other youth I shared my vision with instantly showed interest in it and started contributing to the partnership building process. Other benevolent organizations like JOY TO THE WORLD, an international NGO brought joy to the beneficiaries of my project by blessing them with recreational materials (slides, etc).

Africa Change International (ACI) became a partner and gave the facility a bridge to Project Abroad (UK). Sooner than expected Project Abroad (UK) visited the facility and gave the children good medical treatment. Presently, I'm working to build a more formidable partnership with Project Abroad.

Selorm Kofi Dake, a work colleague in Tomorrow Leaders Ghana (TLG)(www.tomorrowleadersghana.org) brought on board two American teacher volunteers to teach the children and help the teachers with some important teaching techniques.

On enrollment, the number of beneficiaries increased from 250 to 308; but, i don't want to admit more children owing to inadequate space. Unfortunately, the number of children has speedily outgrown the space. Moreover, the owner of the premise intends to use the land for a different purpose; meaning, we need to relocate.

Presently, the facility has about 8 teachers and attendants. The number is somewhat inadequate and this is why I've decided to employ more volunteers to assist. I'm, however, working tirelessly to launch a scholarship program for teachers and nurses in my district so that prospective beneficiaries could at least work on the project for an agreed period.

The scholarship would be funded by CENTER FOR EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES - GHANA, a new organization I'm establishing to mobilize educational resources for schools in very poor communities in my district.

Meanwhile, I'm still working with WOMEN in DEVELOPMENT (WiD) , a women-led community-based organization at Medie, the project location, to help the mothers of the children in my facility to get access to credit facilities so as to enable them work and help sustain the project financially by paying the monthly fees of 2 Ghana Cedis ( 1.50 USD).

What the facility needs now most is money to buy land and build a more equipped facility, and I call on all well meaning individuals and organizations to contribute towards this project because their effort would directly reach the target beneficiaries.

No comments: